Wednesday, October 10, 2012

And While Babies are Swimming...

While I am tending my angelfish, I am surrounded by four dogs. They are all rescues and I am told I now hold the record for the largest number of dogs adopted from the Robeson (NC) County Humane Society, a no-kill shelter.

I have a foxhound named Mattie from the Richmond SPCA who was seized as a puppy from a hunting lodge. Her brother, Skipper, was adopted at the same time but unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago.

I have a collie named Simone who was near death when I adopted her. Fully grown she weighed just 42 pounds and had almost no fur. She is now happy and healthy and nearly 80 pounds!

I also have two Jack Russells. Eddie was the first one I adopted; he had been shot in the leg. I brought him to a surgeon in Cary, NC, who reconstructed his leg and put in a metal plate and you now can't tell he was ever injured. He is the one in the video below with the docked tail.

Lucy is my latest adoption. She is probably part corgi. She's a puppy and loves to "attack" the others while I work with the fish.

In the video below, it sounds like they're going to kill one another. But keep watching and you'll see someone call a time out. They stop, catch their breath, then start to play again! They're like this all day long!